Specifics will vary from hospital to hospital, and surgeon to surgeon, but here are some suggestions as to things that you are likely to experience on the day of surgery :
- As part of the pre-admission process you will advised how to prepare for your day of surgery day. This may include :
- Pre-op Wash Instructions (for evening before and morning of your operation)
- Pre-op “fasting” recommendations
- Pre-op changes to any medications
- You will be admitted to the hospital on the morning of your surgery. You may be in the operating room for two or three hours, but the actual procedure typically takes about 1-2 hours depending on the type of your operation. Then you will spend a few hours in the recovery room.
- Once the anesthesia has worn off, you may feel some pain or discomfort, which can usually be treated with ordinary pain relieve medication. The hospital staff will help you get out of bed and start moving as soon as possible to help prevent blood clots and respiratory problems.