Okay… so today I start my 2 weeks pre-surgery Meal Replacement Diet… which essentially involves replacing all meals with OptiFAST Shakes/Soups/Bars with a few fruit and veges in-between – and lots of water.
I’ve been out shopping (spent $150 on OptiFAST) and the photo above shows pretty much everything I will be eating over the next 2 weeks.
- OptiFAST Chocolate/Caramel Shakes
- OptiFAST Berry Crunch Bars (No Chocolate available at the moment)
- OptiFAST Chicken/Vegetable Soups
- Some Veges – I prefer Celery, Carrots and Tomatoes (yeah I know they are really fruit)
- Some Fruit – Berries and Apples – (Not in Photo)
- Plenty of water (I can have carbonated water Before Surgery, but NOT After)… I will have Lemon Juice in it to make it more “interesting”… and I am not really supposed to have the Flavoured Mineral water but that is my secret (not so secret anymore) treat
- Tea (I don’t drink Coffee) without sugar (but I can have skim milk) – I have got a few different varieties of herbal teas to make life a little bit more interesting too.
17 days to go before my surgery… so I need to start planing and getting my head around the “meal replacement” diet which I need to start 14 days prior (6th Sep).
The purpose of the pre-surgery diet is primarily to shrink down my Liver a bit (so they have more space in my stomach cavity for the keyhole surgery)… I will also (presumably) shed a few more kilos prior to the surgery.
For two weeks I get to replace ALL meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) withOptiFAST Very Low Carb (VLCD) Shakes, Soups and Food Bars… I am also allowed, for morning/afternoon tea a handful of berries or an apple, and with dinner 2 cups of veggies…. Oh Joy !!!
Apparently the first 3-4 days will be the hardest, while my body adapts to the change of diet and I may experience (short term) headaches, light-headedness and tiredness. I also need to keep a close eye on my blood sugar, monitoring regularly and will probably need to cut down Diabetes medications by about half.
I seem to be slowly getting back my taste (which I lost about 8weeks ago)… but am not sure if this is a good ot a bad thing… I am not anticipating a “taste extravaganza” from OptiFAST.