I have finally got my hands on the video of my Gastric Bypass Operation.
Despite researching Gastric Bypass a lot, I had never seen any video footage of the procedure, so I found this fascinating – particularly as it is my own surgery 🙂
It is much “cleaner” in there than I had thought it might be, and the video is not as gory or confronting as I thought it might be.
Saying that, if you are a bit squeemish, you may choose not to watch this :). This video just shows the “highlights” – it runs for just over 6 minutes and the total procedure took closer to an hour.
Here are some timestamps and brief descriptions of what is going on :
(note these annotations are my own and not necessarily medically accurate)
- 00:00 – fighting through abdominal fat to get to my stomach
- 00:20 – removing fat from where stomach meets upper intestine
- 00:52 – separating and stictching stomach to form new “mini” stomach
- 01:37 – my new stomach
- 01:46 – hauling in my intestine to find a suitable new “connect” point
- 02:10 – attaching new stomach to lower intestine
- 02:20 – cutting opening in new stomach
- 02:40 – cutting new opening in intestine.
- 03:00 – stitching up stomach/intestine join
- 04:38 – final stitches
- 05:42 – check stitchwork by inflating
- 05:55 – cauterise
- 06:05 – final rinse